Thursday 29 March 2012

Mr. D


I'm not sure if any of you have watched the show Mr. D but take a look at this clip above! I found this show absolutely hilarious. It's essentially about a terrible teacher who comedically fails his students over and over again, usually trying to impress someone else (whether it be a woman or the principal). I was watching an episode the other day and I got to thinking, "Why do I find this show so funny?" It's about how a teacher is letting down his students for their future yet there is something so real and funny about it. I think it might be the element of that ever nagging question students have, "What are teachers really like outside of school?" Take a look at this clip and maybe watch an episode and tell me what you think!

I looked further into how bad teachers really affect student performance in the classroom and I came across someone else's blog on the subject. This blogger categorizes different kinds of bad teachers. I found this blog hilarious (you all should really take a look at it!). What this person did was list all of the different types of teachers that they have heard students talk about or complain about. They came up with thirteen categories that bad teachers can fit under.

A few of my favourite of these kinds of teachers, because I found the description so relatable in my own education, are the "Tangent", the "Monotone", and the "Over your Head" teacher.
           
We have all had the "Tangent" teacher at one point or another in our educational experience. It is the teacher that uses the classroom as their personal ranting arena. A lot of the time the tangents these teachers go off on have nothing, or very little. to do with t he subject matter of the class. We also have all probably had a "Monotone" teacher, or at least a substitute that was like this. They are the teachers that can teach, but can deliver because listening to them is like watching paint dry. Then there is the "Over your Head" teacher who expects you to be a genius upon entering the classroom, and be able to understand and recite Shakespeare at the age of 7. Most of us have experienced these teachers, but many of drop there classes before the pain truly ensues.

Have you guys experienced these kinds of teachers? Any other one's that you thought of that this blog didn't cover?

3 comments:

  1. This show is hilarious! I'm not someone who usually watches it, but my parents absolutely love it. My dad in particular talks about this show all the time. The thing that I always found funny about it is that both my parents work for the school board. My mom is a teacher while my dad is a principal. I think in some ways they like it some much because they can relate in some ways. The show really does show some forms of the education system that are very prevalent. My parents are able to pick out the extreme versions of mishaps and things gone wrong that they have witnessed themselves at work.
    As far fetched as some of the things seem in this show it really is taken from events that happen in schools more often than one would hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This show is way too funny :) Love Mr. D! He reminded me a great deal of my grade 8/9 science teacher...who was actually a gym teacher. My teacher used to come in and assign us work then have a nap on the desk or when he was suppose to be teaching us our unit on sexual education he did a course on gambling instead. Brought back memories. My teacher was really funny but I do not think I learned anything from him in the two years I had him..now he is finally teaching gym again...I think he found his true calling.
    There are people like Mr. D out there. Yes, he is funny but it is also kind of scary to think about!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this show, while I have only watched one episode, goes to show how hard-work goes into getting a job or receiving cultural capital (qualifications). But once receiving their desired effect (the job) some give up and slack off. I have also had teachers that didn't much care for the students, and would cut class really early so that he/she could get a longer break. While I hope Saint Mary's teachers aren't like this, I am sure there are professors who slip under the radar.

    ReplyDelete