Sunday 1 April 2012

Single-Sex Classrooms: Good or Bad?

Hey guys! I found this article that I found pretty interesting and I thought you might enjoy it to. The article discusses the benefits of a single-sex classroom rather than the normative co-ed classroom. Single-sex classrooms aren't anything new and we often see them in private institutions. This aticle argues that single-sex classrooms are better for students in the educational process.

One of the arguments that this article makes that I disagree with is that when the opposite sex is taken out of the classroom there is less of a focus on being 'cool' or 'popular'. I do not believe that this is the case. In both males and females there always seems to be a search for a heirarchy, those who are leaders and those who are followers. I do not think taking the opposite sex out of the classroom is going to change competition between the same sex.

This article also focuses on test scores, and although I recognize that test scores are important, I wonder what socialization processes are being missed in seperating the sexes. During junior high and high school the majority of my friends were male. I feel if I did not have the opportunity to  socialize with the opposite sex during my schooling than I would not be who am I today.

I do not think single-sex classrooms are a negative thing. I see the positives in having an environment where gender is not an issue, but I do not think it should be something widely practice. In life we do not get the opportunity to only live in a single-sex environment. We have to socialize daily with members of the opposite sex and I see the benefit in beginning that socialization process in school.

What do you guys think? Single-sex classroom: good or bad?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with what you think about the same sex classrooms. There will always be competition, whether we are trying to impress someone of opposite sex, or our own. I know when I'm in class and giving a presentation or doing my work I'm not thinking about how to impress the boys in the room. When you've grown up around the opposite sex it's just something that becomes normal. While the test scores are going up how is it effecting the every day life skills of these children? What are they going to behave like when there are finally given the opportunity to interact with the opposite sex?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on your argument about same-sex classrooms. Taking the opposite sex out of the classroom and learning environment in no way will lessen the focus on being "cool" or "popular". In my personal experience, I find that the most focus on being cool or popular involves trying to impress people of the same sex. Females try to dress and act a certain way to prove that they look good. Among girls in todays society, being cool or popular unfortunatly has a lot to do with looks and status. Being able to wear all the clothes that are in style. Males try to impress males in a more physical manner. Being "tough" or the "jock" in todays society is typically what is viewed as cool or popular. At least this is how my Junior High and High School operated!!

    I really think that single-sex classrooms are both good and bad though. Now let me explain. Depending on a persons personality and how they learn, they may be able to function more possitivly in a private school where there are people that they feel comfortable around. Some females and males may not feel comfortable around the opposite sex, so that would require them to attend a single-sex school. Some people may be quiet and want to be more focused on their academics instead of things outside of the classroom. This is where these students could benefit. There are many other factors that could fit in here!

    Now on the other hand, I think that having classrooms that are co-ed may benefit students that feel they are more sociable and are able to get along with both genders and still be able to focus in this classroom. Now this doesn't mean that I think that students that go to private school aren't sociable. Thats not the case. I'm just stating that I believe that some females or males (as Rebecca discussed above) have a lot of friends that are the opposite sex and just get along better with the opposite sex in some cases. Taking that away from some students wouldn't be giving each student a fair opportunity in learning. And overall, I really question, just like Rebecca and Kaleigh, how this affects the students social skills when they attend single-sex schools. Will they be able to interact with the opposite sex when they get out in the real world?

    I guess it really just depends on the students wants and needs when it comes to education. I really hope that the parents/guardians are at least giving these children the option to decide what kind of educational institution that they will truly benefit from in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Shannon, I'm not for or against same sex classrooms but I'm sure glad that I wasn't apart of one. Having a diverse classroom experience, whether it was different genders or a racial mix, adds to the experience of getting up and going to school. With same sex classrooms there may be less of a distraction but there has also got to be less of the social aspect. I know some argue that you're at school to learn, not socialize, but socializing is definitely part of learning! To spend all day everyday in a classroom with the same sex, wouldn't you miss out on learning how to work with the opposite sex? When the individual leaves the classroom and has to move on to a job in the work sector where there is no such segragation this could potentially become an issue! These are only my views though, like has been said before it comes down to being entirely a choice of preference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to share this best blog with us. To explore more things you may visit here:photographia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Education is more important than anything. Its give us everything to grab success in life. Thanks for sharing wonderful thoughts about education Adoption lawyer TX

    ReplyDelete